News & Newsletters
21st Century Fund for HVRHS
A catalyst for enriching education
Look For our
“Did You Know…?” teasers
in the Lakeville Journal
Did You Know . . .
* There is a Tim Prentice mobile in the HVRHS Library
* Of the twelve 21st Century Fund Board members: five are HVRHS Alum; six are retired or working faculty members; and seven are parents, past parents and/or grandparents
* 21st Century Fund supported the new Farm-to-Table classroom for Agriscience and Technology program and helped them find additional support from Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation
* Board member Juliet Lyon, Class of ’97, was the first woman wrestler to win a Berkshire League title
* 21st Century Fund provided seed money to the now award-winning Envirothon and Robotics Teams
* When Covid restrictions kept students from sharing supplies and equipment, the 21st Century Fund bought $10,000 of science lab kits students could use independently
* The Fund and National Endowment for the Arts paid for the new mural in the HVRHS Cafeteria
* During his tenure as Principal, Dr. Stoddard’s made a trip around the World in 83 Hours
* The Falls Village AFS Chapter at HVRHS (international student exchange) is one of the longest hosting chapters in the US.
* A 21st Century Fund grant paid for the ten-piece orchestra for the HMTS production of Mean Girls
* Academic Bowl Team has won the state geography championship three times, finished first in Connecticut in the 3-2-1 competition ten times, and finished a year ranked as high as 7th in the country.
* The 21st Century Fund for HVRHS provided seed money for the Robotics, Envirothon, and Electric Car Teams
* The HVRHS Envirothon Team won first place in the North American Competition in 2017
* 21st Century Fund awarded over $34,000 to students, faculty and teams/clubs last year
Every year the 21st Century Fund distributes two-three newsletters to keep the community appraised of
how their donations are being used and the impact they have had on the HVRHS community.
To read one of the above newsletters click on the month/year above.
Contact us if you would like to receive any of the older issues; our library dates back to Fall 2015.
21st Century Fund Mural at HVRHS
And It's Back Story
In 2023, the HVRHS student body, while heterogeneous in economic backgrounds, is largely homogeneous in ethnic make-up. The developing awareness of the world beyond the Northwest Corner inspired a grassroots call within the student body for a broader, more diverse, and inclusive atmosphere within the school. To answer this, students brought their proposal of a BIPOC (Black Indigenous People of Color) themed mural on the school campus to the administration and art department faculty. Together it was decided the school cafeteria would be an ideal location for the mural. Students also enthusiastically endorsed the idea of working with a professional muralist to guide them through the process. The group then approached the 21st Century Fund for HVRHS and was awarded a grant and received another grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Once they found funding, the committee started researching artists and decided on Ben Keller, a CT artist who has done many murals around the state, including A New Dawn at 42 Water Street in Torrington. Keller is a young professional painter/mural artist who launched his own business in 2018. In his own words, his vision is “MERGING VISION WITH REALITY.”
Questions or Comments?
Contact us at email@example.com
21st Century Fund for HVRHS
PO Box 132, Falls Village, CT 06031
The 21st Century Fund is an independent 501(C)3. We receive no state or federal funding.